About how I work:
I recommend reading this section first to learn more about my philosophy to partnering with horses to facilitate healing in people.
In our work together, I create a space for you to feel safe and supported, to begin to access and nurture your True-Self, and to unburden yourself from anything which confines your Soul's growth.
In addition, together we create a space for the horses to be their true-selves, free of domesticated limits, roles and expectations. This is an expansive space which allows for the development of increased awareness, sensitivity and freedom for all involved.
Practically and as far as possible, I work with loose horses in their herd and in their own environment. No equipment, enclosures or round pens are involved. This ensures that the horses are allowed to exercise full choice as to whether they participate or not, and how they engage.
My work has several specific areas of focus and practice:
- It is based on the horses employing consent, freedom of choice and freedom of movement
- It is about both people and horses reclaiming their true, wild-selves
- It is an embodied/somatic approach, i.e.: Engaging with the body at all times and accesisng the "subtle-body"
- We draw from lessons learned from wild and feral horses to benefit both people and horses; at times it may even be possible to visit some feral herds to observe them in their natural state
- It is Soul-full and Spiritual – via nature-based beliefs and practices, in particular, Shamanism; Celtic Spirituality, and Returning the Divine Feminine, and Jung's map of the Soul.
More about Equine-Facilitated Learning (EFL) generally:
Equine-Facilitated Learning is a gentle yet highly effective and powerful way of reconnecting to your authentic-self and Soul.
Through interactions with horses on the ground, you can begin to rebuild a connection to your body, your feelings and your needs. Over time this builds self-confidence and an enduring sense of self-worth. EFL works primarily through focusing on relationships: relationship to self and relationship to others; equine and human.
Through noticing the feedback of the horses in each moment, you can begin to see patterns of self-doubt, your approach to relationships and the areas that need strengthening in you, for example, sensitivity, assertiveness, self-care, or personal boundaries. Key Benefits of EFL:
- Increased Self-Belief, Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Develop a Stronger Connection to Your Body and Emotions
- Develop Personal Space Awareness & Boundary Setting Skills
- Develop Your Energetic Skills
- Increased Motivation and Creativity in all areas of your life.
EFL sessions take place on a one-to-one basis with Angela and the horses and are two hours.
EFL is particularly helpful to those who have difficulty trusting
other people and find talk-based therapy or coaching, on its own, challenging. This is because the horses act as a medium to the process by offering unconditional feedback, acceptance, non-judgment and love. Thereby, enabling people to begin to trust themselves, their body, feelings and intuition once again and gradually to start to be able to also trust others - horses and people.Important please read: Equine Facilitated Learning (EFL) is not counselling, psychotherapy or therapy, but it is therapeutic in nature and can sometimes be safely undertaken alongside other forms of therapy and healing with your therapist's consent. If you have an active mental health issue, then you will need written permission from your therapist to undertake EFL with me. Sometimes EFL won't be suitable for some people, and where I feel this is the case, or that a trained mental health professional is more suitable, I will advise you of this and make a referral where possible.
To find out more about EFL sessions or workshops with Angela, please contact me
In 1997 best-selling author, lecturer and horse trainer Linda Kohanov founded Epona Equestrian Services, now called Eponaquest Worldwide
and developed the highly innovative and ground-breaking Eponaquest® Approach, in partnership with Kathleen Barry Ingram
Kohanov's ground-breaking books include The Tao of Equus, Riding Between the Worlds, The Way of the Horse: Equine Archetypes for Self-Discovery, The Power of the Herd,
and The Five Roles of the Master Herder.
The field of Equine-Facilitated Learning, Psychotherapy and Therapy has grown rapidly in the past decade worldwide, and particularly so here in the UK. There are now a number of different models on offer for clients and the public, often creating confusion when choosing a practitioner or model.
It is therefore beneficial to highlight what I consider to be the distinguishing features and strengths of the Eponaquest® Approach.
In the words of its founder, Linda Kohanov, 'The Eponaquest Approach is unique, powerful and highly developed in its ability to help people learn cutting-edge emotional and social intelligence skills, non-predatory leadership skills and strong personal development.'
The key differences are that the Eponaquest® model focuses on the more subtle aspects of relationship, self-awareness and leadership including the mind-body relationship; emotional congruency; energetic awareness; non-predatory leadership skills and inter-personal boundaries. The 10 Key Distinguishing Features of the Eponaquest® Approach:
- The importance of working towards Authenticity and Congruency
- The Body Scan - Mind-Body Focused approach
- Emotions as Information ~ Emotional Intelligence Skills
- Energy Awareness and Skills
- Personal Space needs and setting Boundaries
- Authentic Community Building - For groups, organisations, families and societies
- Non-Predatory Leadership Skills
- The horses are sentient beings in their own right, whose needs, personal space and boundaries are respected at all times throughout all interactions. The horses are our co-facilitators and we work in partnership with them
- Mind-Body-Spirit connections with horses are made possible
- Holding the "Sacred Space of Possibility" for others.
A Sentience-Based Approach to Equine-Facilitated Interactions